The tattoo healing process.
Tattoo aftercare and the new tattoo healing process is important and is a vital part of your tattoo journey so don’t ignore it.
Irreversible life-long damage can occur in the 2 weeks, mostly caused by infections and other skin problems.
The following steps aim to ensure the correct tattoo after care treatment for your new tattoo during the tattoo healing process.
The new tattoo care.
A fresh new tattoo will change appearance when healing. At first it will appear a white’ish colour, then it may crack and flake. The translucent flakes is your body replacing the old skin; making way for fresh newly inked skin to re-surface.
This flaking process starts after 5 to 7 days and lasts for about a week. Sometimes a new tattoo will peel twice, this also is normal.
Some of the flaking may have colour, but that’s okay. In some cases what appears to be a duplicate image full of colour seems to flake and peel off. Don’t panic! … this is perfectly normal.
As skin flakes, continue to carefully pat on some of the tattoo lotion provided in your tattoo aftercare kit provided by your artist. The lotion will keep the new tattoo moist and healthy. There may be scabbing in places. Do not pick the scabs as it may do permanent damage. Leave the wound to heal naturally, … so don’t scratch, rub, or ‘encourage it’ to look good quicker.
Tattman Tattoo Aftercare is exceptionally good at decreasing itching commonly associated with Tattoo aftercare and the new tattoo healing.
Do not try to remove flakes that look ready to fall off as they can be attached to the new skin of the tattoo! This has the potential of pulling unsettled ink out on to the flake of peeling skin. Be patient and let nature do its work. The end result will be worth the wait.
The tattoo healing process that has been left well alone without interference will look crisper and have better definition.
During the tattoo healing process, avoid all swimming or saunas until your tattoo is completely healed, to do so will encourage infections.
Key Tattoo Aftercare
The key things to do when looking after a brand new tattoo are –
- It is of the utmost importance to follow the instructions given by the tattoo artist regarding aftercare treatment until it is completely healed. Note: When you leave the tattoo studio and the procedure is completed, the tattoo artist is no longer responsible for any infections or other issues that may occur, but a studio with a good reputation will want to listen to your concerns and may possibly retouch problem areas or have alternative solutions.
- The care you give your new tattoo during the tattoo healing process will determine the quality of your beautiful art work over the decades to come.
Normally, after the new tattoo is completed, the artist will recommend keeping the bandages on for about 5 hours and when the bandages are removed, keep the area well moisturized with a high quality tattoo aftercare treatment until it is completely healed. Moisturizing the area will keep the peeling skin soft and stop it damaging the fresh ink.
Additionally, moisturizing will encourage the peeling to remain flat against the skin. This guards against hard flakes being caught on clothing (or anything else) and tearing which could potentially cause infection. Furthermore, moisturizing soothes the itching of tattoo healing.
There are 3 very important stages of a tattoo –
- The tattoo ink being placed under skin by the tattoo artist ,
- You take care of the new tattoo during the healing process.
- You protect it from the elements by using high quality tattoo aftercare.