Your tattoo is a permanent piece of art that adorns your body exposing your individuality and telling your story.
Tattoo aftercare and tattoo maintainance needs to be seriously considered if you expect your tattoo to look vibrant in the years ahead.
Maintaining its colours, intricate details, and general beauty requires a continuous regime of good quality tattoo aftercare to ensure it remains a source of pride and admiration.
The usual tattoo care consists of tattoo aftercare cream, tattoo aftercare balm and tattoo aftercare oil.
All of these are a personal choice but keep in mind when choosing to use balm, oil or cream, the area where the aftercare is to be applied.
Example: using oil near makeup or any clothing etc, It may well be better in this situation to use a balm. So think about what product best suits your situation.
Here are some essential tips for long-term tattoo care and how to properly maintain a tattoo, fully healed or mature.
1. Continue moisturizing.
Regular moisturizing remains crucial even after the initial healing time.
Keep the tattooed area hydrated by applying fragrance free, non-greasy cream twice a day if possible .
This will prevent the colours fading or the skin becoming cracked.
2. Protect from sun exposure to properly maintain a tattoo.
Protection from the sun remains the top priority for maintaining tattoo vibrancy.
Use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher if you expose your tattoo to sunlight.
Use sunscreen even on cloudy days.
3. Avoid harsh chemicals.
Chemicals used in chlorinated water or strong detergents can damage the tattoo, especially a new tattoo and cause fading.
Some soaps contain products that may damage your tattoo.
You should always read the labels of any product you put on your skin to be very sure the ingredients are safe to use as many commercial products are not always what they appear to be.
Additional Tips for Specific Tattoo Locations.
Hands and feet are very prone to wear and tear caused by frequent washing and movement. Protect these areas from harsh chemicals or poor fitting foot-ware.
Your shoulders and back are less exposed to direct friction so moisturize to prevent damage if you wear tight clothing.
Maintaining Vibrancy After Tattoo Healing
Once your tattoo has healed, you’ll need to continue practicing good aftercare habits to maintain its vibrancy. Here are some tips for long-term tattoo care:
- Moisturize regularly. Keep your tattoo hydrated by applying a fragrance-free, hypoallergenic moisturizer daily. This will help prevent the colors from fading and the skin from becoming dry and cracked.
- Protect your tattoo from the sun. UV rays can damage the ink in your tattoo, causing it to fade and lose its vibrancy. Always wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher when you’ll be exposed to the sun, even on cloudy days.
- Avoid harsh chemicals. Harsh chemicals, like those found in some soaps, detergents, and cleaning products, can damage your tattoo and strip away its color. Wear gloves handling these products and avoid direct contact with your tattoo.
- Keep your skin healthy. The health of your skin will affect the appearance of your tattoo. Eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, and get enough sleep to keep your skin healthy and radiant.
Tattoo Aftercare And Tattoo Maintainance May Include Professional Touch-Ups.
Your tattoo is a living piece of art that will evolve with your skin as you age, embrace the natural changes that develop.
Even the best tattoo aftercare and tattoo maintainance may experience fading and colour loss.
This is caused by a number of factors, including sun exposure, aging, and natural skin wear and tear. If your tattoo starts to fade or lose its vibrancy, you can consider getting a professional touch-up.
It’s a good idea to go and talk to your tattoo artist about touch-ups or recommendations of future care.
A touch-up is a procedure in which a tattoo artist reapplies ink to the tattoo to restore its original color and vibrancy. Touch-ups are typically done every few years, depending on the location, size, and design of the tattoo.
Additional Tips on how to properly maintain a tattoo.
Here are some additional tips on how to properly maintain a tattoo and your tattoo’s vibrancy .:
- Choose a reputable tattoo artist. A skilled tattoo artist will use high-quality ink and apply it properly, which will help your tattoo last longer.
- Avoid over-exfoliating your skin. Exfoliating can remove the top layer of skin, which can fade your tattoo. If you do exfoliate, be gentle and avoid scrubbing too hard.
- Consider getting a tattoo cover-up. If your tattoo is faded or you no longer like it, you can consider getting it covered up with another tattoo. This is a more permanent solution than a touch-up, but it also requires more time and money.
By following these tips, you can keep your tattoo looking its best for years to come. Remember, your tattoo is a permanent piece of art, care and attention will pay dividens.
How to properly maintain a tattoo.
An example of a badly damaged boilermakers tattooed arm and the results of one light application of Tattman Enhancer Cream.